PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Thankgiving

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Cook4Love
    Hi Everyone,

In my pre-Molly life Thanksgiving was one of my favorite holidays — it was about gathering at the table with family and just taking a moment to be grateful for what we have in life and also enjoying a massive meal.  After Molly was diagnosed, it became a holiday that filled me with dread because all I could focus on was what Molly could not have.  It has taken quite some time, but it is once again one of my favorites.  Most importantly it is about gathering with family, but to me almost equally important is  sharing some new favorite dishes and enjoying a meal together, the way it should have been.  Cook for Love has taken your traditional meal — everything but the turkey — and made a low protein feast that everyone will enjoy!

Here is what is on our menu for Thanksgiving:

To Start
    Baby Greens with Smokey Shitakes and Cider Vinaigrette

Entree
    Oven Roasted Portabellas with Sherry Gravy served over Mashed Potatoes

Sides
    Make-Ahead Dinner Biscuits
    Apple and Sage Stuffing
    Cranberry-Orange Sauce
    Butternut Squash with Caramelized Apples
    Green Bean Casserole
    Glazed Carrots

Dessert
    Apple Pie
    Vanilla Ice Cream

Here is the Game Plan – it provides a step by step survival guide.

For the younger kids:
    We used to do a veggie finger for Molly (the nugget recipe — taking a double portion of the potato mix and shaping like a chicken finger), mashed potatoes, biscuits, stuffing, broccoli and glazed carrots.  For dessert we made cute turkey cookies with CFL’s roll out sugar cookie recipe and turkey cupcakes with the yellow cake recipe (see attached photos).

For the cupcakes:  It is a regular sized cupcake and a mini one on top. To save time we used Anna’s thin ginger cookies that we bought from our grocery store (3 cookies, 1 gm protein), but if you wanted to lower the phe, use the gingerbread cookie reipe on the site. The waddle is a piece of fruit roll up cut in the right shape.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone and get cooking!

Brenda Winiarski
    Founder of Cook for Love, Inc.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional