PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support The best and worst low pro foods :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    gracie1605
    Participant

My son is 15months now and I have ordered many things for him, some good some not so good. some even smell horrible like the cambrooke dogs i just got. Just wondering what other people with pku would recommend for and against so i can stop waisting my time and freezer space. What are some of your favs and things you have tried that are really no good from anywhere, cambrooke any recipies from cookfor love that are your favs(I have so little time, but need to try a few) myspecial diet.com, loprofin foods, and the pku perspectives site thanks everyone.

livsmom922

I have made the Cook for Love banana bread.  It is quite easy and so delicious!  I had the opportunity to try the Cook for Love cinnamon buns which were also great!  My daughter is only 10 months old, so I am just starting to make some low protein foods for her. 

Emsilly24

Some of my favorites include the Cambrooke raviloi, any of the Aproten pasta (you can order this on Cambrooke's website as well), the Cambrooke pizzas, the Cambrooke meatballs, and the shaker cheese which I use it to make macaroni and cheese.  I also love the rice that is available at MySpecialDiet and the Nutricia Apple bars.  Trial and error with this kind of food is frustrating sometimes, but once you find something delicious it will be worth it (and believe me there are delicious options out there). 

Just a suggestion- Make sure you try lots of different low protein foods and find out what works best for your son while he is still young and developing his taste for things.  I am 21 years old now, and when I was growing up almost NONE of these low protein options existed.  I got used to the tastes of real bread, real chocolate, real cereal, even real ice cream, which probably explains why I dislike the low protein versions those things.  If I grew up with those things and never tried the real thing, I would probably find them delicious because I would have no comparison.  Food and formula have come such a long way, even in just 5 or 10 years.  Just a year ago, I was drinking a formula I could barely stand, but now I'm on the Camino Pro system (available at Cambrooke), which is a combination of convenience and taste my parents could not even imagine for me when I was a child!  Just have an opened mind and remember that there are tons of possibilities out there.  Best of luck to you!  PS- Cambrooke wins my vote for best low pro food on the internet!

Nicole1982

My favourite Low protein food at moment is Promin Burger Mix its lovely and tasty and so easy to make!  Also i love the promin cheese and brocolli Pasta stir ins and the morrocon sauce one too there yummy!!

beckyboo
    Participant

Pizza bases, Pasta and sausage mix, they are my faves! Haven't tried the cheese & broccoli or morrocan pastas yet but have got them on order! looking forward to trying them though, thanks Nicole 1982!! 

Nicole1982

Hi

Has anyone tried the Promin Hot breakfasts??? i see them on prescription am very tempted to try them x

beckyboo
    Participant

I havent tried them either, if you do try them, let me knw what u think!! x

Anonymous

Lo-pro pasta is the best!!! Has anybody ever made baked ziti with lo-pro penne? It's amazing! If anybody wants a recipe for it to try, just let me know and I'll post it! 

gracie1605, Cambrooke also has little stuffed pizza roll things that are really good, but I'd have to say I agree with you about the dogs! Ummm… the chocolate chip cookie dough is awesome! The Shake'n'Cheese is really helpful in making mac n cheese or lo-pro cheetos (fried pasta). The Tweekz are amazing. One of my favs… they're like a substitute for chicken nuggets….. speaking of which, has anybody ever happened upon a low-pro recipe for chicken nuggets using rusk and potatoes and carrots? My mom used to make those when I was little and they were wonderful! 

If you ever do get about thirty minutes to cook, I've come up with a pretty good recipe for lo-pro enchiladas. (I'll post that one too, if anybody wants it).. I like to experiment!

gracie1605
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice and any recipies will be awesome….and keep on posting if there are more ideas opinions

Emsilly24

I would love a recipe for low pro baked ziti!

pku sucks

hi everyone well i havint tryed any reallt i like the paster and bread but thats bout it?

what elce is there nice that i can try? x

sarahl
    Participant

Yes, post the recipes for the baked ziti & enchiladas!

Anonymous

Lo-Pro Baked Ziti

2 cups lo-pro penne pasta (cooked)

1 cup traditional marinara-type spaghetti sauce

1/4 cup lo-pro mozzarella cheese

4 tbsp Rich's Coffee Rich

olive oil

1/4 cup diced bell pepper

1/4 cup diced red onion

1/4 cup diced portabella mushroom

1 tsp oregano

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. After cooking the pasta and draining it, put it in a large mixing bowl. Lightly coat the bottom of a nonstick skillet with just enough olive oil to cover the bottom. When the oil is hot over medium heat, add bell pepper, onion, mushroom, and oregano. Stirring frequently, sautee the vegetables until the mushroom is tender and the onion is golden brown. Remove the vegetables from the heat and add them to the pasta in the mixing bowl. Add the Coffee Rich, the salt and pepper, and the marinara sauce to the mixing bowl and stir. Lightly coat the bottom and the sides of a medium-sized casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour the contents of the mixing bowl into the casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the pasta mixture and bake for about 10-15 minutes. 

My version of a recipe for Baked Ziti by Dianne Sullivan 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional