PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU Too much frustration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BreaMarie91

Okay so I’m the type of girl who tries super hard to watch my diet and eat right and lately I’ve even been trying keep alittle log of what I’ve been eatting but it’s not use! I can do it for maybe a week, two weeks tops but then it’s like the motavation is gone and I go back to eatting without thinking about how much I can have of that food. I was wondering if anyone here had ideas on how to make the diet alot easier. I don’t really mind taking a notebook to school to right down what I eat but what happens is the weekend comes and then I don’t write anything down because I don’t have the notebook with me all the time and then when school starts back up on Monday I totally forget the whole diet and give myself the whole ‘Oh well I’ll just not worry about the diet today and then do really good tomorrow’ sort of a thing.
    I really need help because I’m getting really frustrated with myself! So any suggestions or comments are welcome! nThanks Breanna

GotPKU

a mini note pad? sry im kinda clueless when it comes to dealing with it, i just do, b/c i know when the results come back, im gonna be alot happier and prouder if they’re good!

BreaMarie91

Lol it’s okay, no I actually just take an everyday note book because I write big . But my main problem is when the weekend comes I don’t carry the notebook around with me like I do at school so I forget what to write down what I eat and then on monday I took a break on the weekend and forget to bring the notebook with me and then it all just falls apart from there. Grr! I find it funny how with my sisters diet I help her along so good but when it comes to my own diet it’s one problem after the next, lol probably because she’s 8, she’ll eat whatever me and my mom tell her to eat.

GotPKU

that’s really true!!! when she’s older im sure she’s gonna be alot more picky about what she eats! Now a-day’s i just hate food! i dont enjoy eating at all! i just eat in order to stay healthy! i just eat foods that are as low as protein as possible, then the stuff i do enjoy to eat, i use up my remainder of exchanges with them. im sry iv’e been crappy with my diet for my hole life iv’e only just started conting stuff. im sry i can’t be of ani help!

BreaMarie91

No, just by talking to other people with PKU and knowing I’m not the only one out there is helpful. And to tell you the truth when I was younger I was horrible with my diet, my mom counted my food until I was like 8 then she let me take over and I didn’t count at all until about a maybe 2 years ago. For me I actaully eat alot, I make things like low pro PB & J all the time or cheese sandwichs (low pro of course)

BreaMarie91

Well I’m sort of dreading tomorrow but in another way I’m super excited! Tommorrow I have my dress rehearal for dance, we’re performing the nutcracker next week saturday. We’re going to be there from around 8ish am till about 4pm so we’ll be having lunch there which is what I’m dreading. See most of my friends from dance only see me at dance (lol I love how I use the word only when I’m at dance like 5 days a week) and a few times when we go to see movies. So most of them have never seen me eat so PKU was never brought up and even my friend who is 14 and I’ve known her since she was like 6 and I was 7 still doesn’t know just because it was never an issue and was never brought up.
    So everyone is getting the lunch that a group of mothers offered to make (just cookies, chips, sandwichs and things like that) so I’ll be almost the only girl with a bagged lunch and I know it’s gonna embarass me already.
    BUT! I’m super excited still because I always have so much fun at dress rehearsals and stuff like this because someone always brings and tv and we plug it in, in the dressing rooms, and we play DDR (dance dance revolution…not sure if you all know what that is) But so it’ll be fun, I guess I’ll just trying not to let PKU ruin my fun and if anyone ask about my PKU I guess I’ll just tell them. nBreanna

GotPKU

oh jeez! thats harsh! im sorry that really sucks!!! (bout the eating part) did you have fun over though? what happened bout the food? im allways scared bout people asking me bout the diet! im just horifyed to have to answer all the questions about it, cus in a way it just brings it all back up again. i normally just do it and whenever i think about it i get really frustrated! it sucks!

BreaMarie91

I don’t know I’ll tell you how it goes when I get home (I’m getting ready right now). But I know one of my friends might be alittle hurt that I never told her cuz like I said, we’ve known eachother since like we were 6 and 7 and she’s like one of my best friends. But I guess eventually I’ll have to talk about it some time, so we’ll see.

BreaMarie91

Hi, I thought I’d let you know how it went. Well I told my friends and she didn’t really care that I never told her, amazingly she was the first friend ever to not think it was weird or push me to answer questions I don’t want to….that could be just be because she’s just always a sweetie (she’s like one of my best friends).
    But not related to PKU, I had so much fun. I’m not sure if you’ve ever seen the nutcracker or know how it goes but there is a part where Clara, the girl who recives the nutcracker as a present, is having a christmas party and I’m in that part. Well I’m supposed to be a ‘big sister’ who walks little girls into the party and I party and junk, turns out I found out today I’m not supposed to be just any ‘big sister’ I’m the ‘naughty big sister’ I’m supposed to convience my friend who is being a maid to give me some champone(probably spelt wrong but whatever). It’s really funny because since this is for dance we don’t talk so we have to act it out during the dance and us pantamiming(I know again spelt wrong) so we basically play tug a war with the tray of wine cups. It’s hilarious because I win so then I have to pretend to get chased by my friend.

GotPKU

im sure she won’t mind, she might just feel bad for you!

BreaMarie91

A few questions were asked but nothing to much that I couldn’t handle. She didn’t really pay much attention to it after I told her, not in a ‘oh your a freak’ way or a ‘I really don’t care about that’ way just more of a ‘Whatever your the same girl I’ve always known’ way. I was super suprised but sooooooooo thankful that it didn’t matter to her.
    But on a really good note, I had sooooooooo much fun at the dress rehearsal…although I was thinking about eatting some chocolate (herseys chocolate was being served at lunch) but my older friend who is a junior and has known about my PKU since we meet when I was in like 4th grade told me not to. Her name’s Besty and she’s such a great girl….lol she knows I’ll do anything she says, exspecially since she’s like 6ft or something crazy like that so she’s like my ‘extra big sister’ only difference is I actually listen to her unlike my real sister. nBreanna

Elizabeth
    Participant

I’m glad everything turned out ok and you had lots of fun! One thing that helps me with my diet is my dreams for the future. Think about what you want to do, like dance. If you let yourself have more exchanges then you’re supposed to, that is going to effect how you perform. In order to get into medical school, or grad school, I know I have to do well in my classes. If I choose to have more exchanges then I’m supposed to, I can really tell in the way I think. That is what motivates me to stay as close to my limit as possible. Hopefully that helps! Good luck on your recital!

BreaMarie91

Yeah in the past week or so I’ve done super good, haven’t gone over yet. But anyway I’m super excited because tomorrow is the actual performance! We have a 1 oclock show and then a 7 oclock show…me, my 3 sisters and like 3 friends going to mcdonalds after the first show. I’ll probably get what I usually get, fries and apple dippers. Since I only get 300 phes (or 20 exchanges if you count that way) and mcdonald fries are like almost 200 phes I think for a medium I’m gonna just eat something like low pro pancakes for breakfast and like low pro noodles with butter for diner.

debbieco

I hope that the dance performance went well for you! Glad that your friend was great when you told her about your PKU!
    I focus on my dreams and what I want to acheive in life and I know that the only way I am going to be able to get there is to be disciplined with my food and formula intake. nGood luck!
    I hope that everybody has a great christmas and a great 2007!

BreaMarie91

Yeah lately I’ve been trying to really watch what I eat. It hasn’t been to hard, exspecially since all my friends at school are so supportive and interested in my diet (some of them have only just found out about my PKU awhile ago). Oh and I just got my level back I was soooooooooo excited!
    It was 6.9mg/dl! nBreanna

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional