PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support what can you say about your experience of leaving regim?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    medina2009
    Participant

Hello every body . happy new year. we have a session to inform people about pku disease. and i have limited time about this project . I want to speak about the dangers of leaving regim. PLEASE every personof you that has the experience of defecting regim , explain his , her  condition and the side effects of this problem .

katiemag16
    Participant

Hi Medina,

For me, I have always continued to follow my low-protein diet.  When I was a teenager, I was not very good with taking my formula which provided me with the essential proteins a person needs for proper nutrition.  I was deficient in protein.  This caused me to get very sick.  I was extremely thin and very weak.  I had a hard time concentrating.  I was irritable and moody.  I also was extremely fatigue often.  Once I got myself back into a routine of taking formula consistently, I felt a HUGE difference in my self.  I was much happier of a person. 

I am sure you will hear from some more people on here what it is like to go completely off diet.  During your project, make sure you emphasize the importance that PKU is a lifetime diet!  Without remaining on diet, a person's health (and life) can be greatly impacted.

-Katie

medina2009
    Participant

thanks a lot Katie . your statement was so useful for me . if you know anything about other's experience , please say it

to me .

any other person , if you have any experience of quitting regim , please share your experience .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional