PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Parent support What do I feed a four year old?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MeganH_tie

My boyfriends daughter is three, soon to be four. She has Medicaid because my boyfriend was laid off and there is no financial help to buy the special foods. Fortunately the formula is covered. She is currently eating nothing but foods that are high in fat and salt. We only have her every other weekend and I always try to get her to eat healthy foods that I don’t think she gets at home, but she just won’t eat them. It is frustrating because all she seems to want is potatoes and lots of liquids. This makes her so constipated and she just seems miserable. I have read recipes online but they mostly seem suited for adults with sophisticated palates. I would like to know if there is anyone who could share with me some recipes for younger kids that include all the essential nutrients that she can have.

BreaMarie91

Hi Megan-
    I think that is great that your trying to help your boyfriends daughter! Anyway, I can tell you from personal experience that it seems like alot of PKU people eat alot of potatoe products (I admit me and my younger sister who is 8 eat ALOT of potatoe products aswell).
    I do have some recipes that she might like but I don’t really know all the nutritional values of these foods, but atleast it might get her eatting more of a variety. If you want I can give you a few recipes here. Just let me know. But I just want to leave you with one last comment, if your boyfriends daughters blood levels and tyrosine levels are where they need to be then I wouldn’t worry to much, after all how much phenylalanine she eats will probably be the most important thing for her to watch while she is growing up. nBreanna n15 w/Classical PKU

Anonymous

HI MEGAN THIS IS BETHANN WHEN I WAS YOUNIG nMY MOTHER MADE EVER THING BY HAND THEIR WAS NO SPCIAL nFOOD FOR US AT ALL ME AND MY BROTHERS THERE IS THREE OF US nWE WHERE BRON IN 1950 AND 1960’S SO SHE MADE IT ALL UP BY HER SLEF AND IT WAS GRATE!!THE ONE THING I REMMBER IS ICE CREAM! IT WAS MADE FORM WIPCREAM, AND FRISH FRUIT, AND MOCHMIX PUT IT TO GETTHER AND THEN FREZZ IT AND AS FOR MEALS nLOTS OF FRUITS AND VEG. JUST MAKE IT FUN FOR HER IAM A MOTHER nTO BUT MY SON IS 27 YEAR OLD AND DOSE’T HAVE PKU BUT USDE YOUR JUDMENT IT WILL WORK OUT JUST FINE REMMBER SHE IS LIKE ANY OTHER CHILD HER AGE DON’T TREET HER DIFOUNTLY THEN OTHER KIDS AND THEN YOU’LL DO GRATE AS A STEPMOM!!!!

ccmom82

my daughter is 4, and she is a picky eater, she likes potatoes too…cooked in many different ways, but french fries are her favorite….we found out that she loves fried green beans and ketchup. She first tried them at TGIF and now I make them at home. You could try that, other than that she likes fruit alot. Hope this helps, or if you can give me some more of what she likes I may be able to come up with some ideas. GOOD LUCK

BreaMarie91

Just thought I’d mention, I love TGIF’s fried green beans (but there fries more but I know those are pretty high in phe so I try to avoid them). Alot of PKU people I know seem to like potatoe products, me and my sister both love potatoes aswell. I think it’s kind of a trend nBreanna

BreaMarie91

Also, if any of you have any of virginia Scheutt’s cook books there are some extremely good recipes in there!

kovdolphin

Hi! I am 26 years old so when I was that age we didn’t have lo protien foods. They are also very expensive. Here in Florida we have a few Supermarkets that carrry them. Virginia Scheutt has printed several lo protien cook books but they all use regular food not lopro. I have all of them, if you would like any recipies please let me know.

Anonymous

Hello people, i have that crummy disease that really sucks. I really dislike pku but i like how i have never thrown up in my life before! :D

beckyboo
    Participant

I agree with BreaMarie91! As long as your partners daughter's levels are fine, that is all you should be worrying about! I can assure you, I grew up on sweets, chips and crisps! I only ever had a few low protein biscuits! But I turned out ok….I think?! lol! The suppliment that she has, will have all the nutrients in that she doesn't get from food. That is why my Mum never worried about the rubbish that I ate. I tell you one fruit though, that every child I have ever met has LOVED, and that is watermelon! How about try some of that, maybe some strawberries! Anything colourful she might like?! I hope this helps?!?

sarahl
    Participant

Try roasting different veggies –green beans, beets, carrots, parsnips…once they get crispy they have a sort of salty potato chip type texture (think of the veggie chips you buy in the store). The similar texture might make it an easy transition for her.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional