PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Generation PKU what kind of formulas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

I’ve been reading all of these other posts and there are so many other formulas that kids are on, and I mean, I’m fifteen and I’m still drinking the powdered milk. Is anyone else still on that? & Does anyone else have a different formula?
    Thanks! nTaylor.

BreaMarie91

Hey, nThere are soooo many different formulas now. Some are powders, premade juices, pills, candybar types, things you can mix into foods etc. I drink the PKU express coolers made by Vitaflo and also XPhe Maxamum juice boxes by SHS. They’re both premade so I just shake them and drink. I’ve been on alot of different formulas in my life (any kind you can think of I’m most likely tried before). I was recently on Phenylade Chocolate which is a powder and then before that I was on a bunch of other Phenylade formulas and Phlexy-10 products. I was also taking Phenex chews (which looked kind of like tums) but Ross discontinued making them.
    My younger sister drinks Phenex-2 Unflavored which is also a powder. Alot of people still drink the powders I think, it’s just that there are so many other things coming out aswell that alot of people are trying those too. nBreanna n16 w/CPKU

_hley07

how do you get the juicelike formulas?

BreaMarie91

Well I just got a new dietitian in Sept and she knew that I was having issues with my formulas. So she let me try some new ones and the premade juice formulas were some that she gave me to try.
    We live in Wisconsin so our formula is paid for by the state. So when we need formula we just call Childrens Hospital and tell them what we need and then we pick it up there in a few days.
    If you want to try new formulas talk to your dietitian/doctor about it. They should beable to give you somethings to try out. nBreanna n16 w/CPKU

BreaMarie91

Well I just got a new dietitian in Sept and she knew that I was having issues with my formulas. So she let me try some new ones and the premade juice formulas were some that she gave me to try.
    We live in Wisconsin so our formula is paid for by the state. So when we need formula we just call Childrens Hospital and tell them what we need and then we pick it up there in a few days.
    If you want to try new formulas talk to your dietitian/doctor about it. They should beable to give you somethings to try out. nBreanna n16 w/CPKU

becca22
    Participant

Hi my name is Becky. I have tried many of formulas also and I am currently drinking phenyl free 2hp. I live in Florida and the state covers some formula. I have tried the new drink boxes but this state will not cover them at this time. The phenyl free 2hp has a vanilla flavor it is ok.

Nicko G

hey i am trying the pkuexpress cooler shake and drink as well i am having trouble ajusting 2 the taste

BreaMarie91

Nicko, for a while after I started drinking the coolers I had to just drink it fast to get it over with. The only thing I didn’t like is the vitamin aftertaste, but I’ve been drinking the Coolers since September and I don’t even notice the aftertaste anymore.

Nicko G

hey breanna my mum is nicole (nickiyig)she wants me 2 try this stuff but i havent liked the previous pre made juices ive been trying 2 ajust 2 the taste but i just cant do it i have 2 skull it down.

BreaMarie91

Are you trying to orange or purple coolers? I drink both, but I like the purple better. You could also try the XPhe Maxamum juice boexes by SHS if you can get a hold of those. They come premade in actual juice boxes and they come in orange and berry flavor.
    I think I’ve talked to your mom a few times. nBreanna

Nicko G

I pefer the purple ones but it isnt as good as my last formulas. r the juiceboxes the same as xp maximum? ‘cos thats wat i used 2 drink.

Nicko G

My mum had 2 pay me 50 cents per cooler just 2 get me 2 drink it.

BreaMarie91

Lol, nice I should get my mom to pay me nYeah the juice boxes are the xp maximum. I say if you like what your drinking and you don’t have a probably you probably shouldn’t even change.

Nicko G

I used 2 drink xp maximum, i mixed the powder with water, it became a chore every morning having 2 make it over and over again. but now I have 2 have 4 a day instead of 3 a day so i have to take the cooler packs 2 skool . At least they look good.
    When i drank the powder maximum i used 2 have it with a straw because it tasted horrible without it. It was kinda embarrasing @ camp.

BreaMarie91

Oh you drank the xp maxamum powder? Have you thought of trying the juice that comes premade? I’m not positive if it’s the same thing or not but it’s from the same company. And don’t feel bad, up until September I was drinking Phenylade which was a powder and I hated having to make it and I ALWAYS had to use a straw. My little sister who has PKU is drinking Phenex 2 unflavored which is a powder too and she always drinks it either from like a sports cup or with a straw. nBreanna

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional