PKU.com Community Discussion Forum Adults and PKU Working out

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    likeachamp4

Hey,
    I was just wondering if there was anyone out there with PKU who has had any success with weight lifting and building muscle mass. I am 24 yrs old and I do have PKU. I just graduated college and I have been working out all through college but it is tough because I can’t eat protein. Any suggestions?

BreaMarie91

Well our formula is what has our protein substitute. So I’m assuming if you drink more of that it would be some what similar to eatting more protein. But I’m not positive, I stink at lifting weights so I stink to dancing. nBreanna n16 CPKU

cadams

im not sure either, but I am also working out, 27, PKU. I’d like to know what we can do to build mass to.

pkukid
    Participant

Hi,
    I just had to respond to this. I think this is probably always going to be a concern for those of us with pku. I sometimes drink an extra formula. I often find that I get really hungry after a workout- weights, cyxling, or whatever else. My dietician says I shouldn’t be hungry but I always am. I think you just have to do like a science experiment to try to find what works for you. I’ve found that weights in combination with some type of aerobic thing ( for me it’s swimming because I have asthma) helps. It’s probably always going to be a puzzle to tery to figure out how we can do what other people seem to just do naturally( bulid muscle) It took me about 6 months of intense weight training ( 3 sets 15-25 reps) to finally get to where I can see some muscle beginning to show up. Good luck and let me know if it works.

Anonymous

anyone have any problems with weight? i would really like to lose weight..not to concerd about building to many muscles or large muscle mass.. just getting back into shape after an injury and an up and coming sugery… i have ganied alot of weight from a knee injury that prevetned me from exersizing.. and before that i was always very small size 2 and 110 lbs.. i am now the largest i have ever been and dont really know were to beging losing weight with PKU… i was told that when i exersize my body is breaking down my muscled.. and thats like eating alot of protein? so how can i loose weight with PKU and still keep my levles low and good health?

BreaMarie91

Somebody told me once if you drink your formula alittle bit more that it helps with lossing weight. But don’t quote me because I’m not positive on that. My issue is that I need to gain weight. When I was 6 I was like 33lbs (given I was also very short) and my doctor made my mom count calories for me to help me gain weight. They were concerned with my weight from then on until I was about 13 and then I think they kind of gave up with worrying. nBre

kalptaru

Hello everyone. I thought I would bite on this since its what I do. I’m a personal trainer and fitness therapist who also happens to have PKU.
    In my experience for the guys, there are those who can build mass by looking at a dumbell and those it appears to take an act of Congress to build any muscle mass. I would not suggest extra formula unless your nutritionist has allowed room for a little extra. Mine has done that so it certainly isn’t unheard of. So yes extra protein intake can build mass but it has to be in proper balance with your workout. Most protein supplements in the gym have incredible calorie content.Body builders that take those have to ensure that the workout doesn’t allow for body fat gain. It is different for every body, its very personal. I would be happy to help anyone with fitness goals. HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Anonymous

Kalpatru….
    wow what a dream come true i would love to chat with u further. may i add you to my windows live messneger. i am haveing diffucluites working out due to a horrible injury to my leg and mainitiang healthy levels. i think i would benifit from any adice you could offer me.. not just becasue u are a personal trainer. i have talked and met with many others, but becasue u also have pku and understand how important maintaing a diet and low levels. i currently have the best levels i have had in 2 yrs and a great routine and shcedule for my foods, and i eat very healthy.. but i cant work out to much with out reinjuring my knee. it has been 22 months and i jsut foudn otu that i will be haveing surgery within the next 6 months .. but untill then iwant to gain back some of my activiy level and start feelign good about my slef again. i went from a size 2 adn 110 lbs to a plus sixe.. wont tell u how much here. could u pls help me? i have no confidnce in my self or self esteem anymore. and have had my share of depression. if u could offer any advice or helpful facts or even moral support i would be forver greatful!

kalptaru

OF COURSE AMANDA! Add me and I’ll try to figure out how to add you. I may know fitness but computers can still stupify me! HA!
    I have CPKU myself, diagnosed at birth but left off-diet for almost 30 years. I currently do lots of work with Dr. Koch and we tag team local PKUers here in the Los Angeles area. I’m very blessed to get to work with him.
    I myself (of course ) have gone through the weight gain thing too. Believe me I know where you are. It is hard but you can do it. nYou will always get moral support too, ok? Look in the mirror today and say one nice thing about yourself, its a small move but its a start. Remember Rudolph’s Shiny New Year? Put one foot in front of the other and soon you’ll be walking out the door.

MISH

Hi Like a Champ –
    It’s your sister crazy girl – I think you should keep working out because working out is fun! (besides it is your job) nHahaha funny meeting you here! ahhahahahah
    My brother & I both have classical PKU except I didn’t know he was on this site…LOL… nToodles, nCrazy Girl

makester
    Participant

My brother is weightlifting and he has PKU like me. He is taking the HP powder stuff for his formula, but he got it approved by our dietition. Like said earlier, i think it has alot to do with your body. Some people just stare at the weightmachine and gain muscle and some people it takes several hours a week. I have tried many times to gain muscle and hasn’t worked out for me.

ArmyPKU99

Likeachamp – I am in the military and peak physical fitness (PT) is key for me. As the physical trainer mentioned (sorry, I forgot the name!) there is a balance between protein intake and physical workout. Too much protein (from your dietary shake or other “safe” protein) can damage your kidneys and lead to kidney problems later in life. However, not enough (as Amanda was mentioning) and you break down your own muscles for protein and your muscles begin to atropy.
    It really sucks, it’s happened to me, you just feel really weak in all of your muscles (like when you first wake up in the morning and you can’t close your fist all of the way). Seek your doctor or nutritionalist for the appropriate increase of protein. BTW – It would greatly help them out if you showed them your plan for exercise. Of course, you need to also stick with the plan as well. I had the chance to do all of this in Iraq, I gained 15 pounds and was able to work out 2 times a day for an hour each. Best of luck and stick with the PT!

ArmyPKU99

Amanda Cosburn – From reading your posts about how your body would break itself down, I would highly recommend talking with your nutritionalist about an increase of “safe” protein – you know from your shake and such. Work with them and determine you workout routine, how many calories you would burn and how much extra protein your body would need. As I said to likeachamp, don’t get too much protein as this damages the kidneys. Try starting starting your workout slow and for about a half an hour, just to get into the groove. Once you get in to a routine, increase the time and distance. nWith knee problems, you probably would want to try the elliptical or other low impact cardio. The best would be to hop into a pool and just start swimming as long as you can. The big thing is that balance of calorie intake (for energy), protein intake (for muscle repair & energy) and your intensity of physical activity. nMasterfully balance all three and you’ll be highly successful and pleased with the results. Best of luck.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Quick Poll
Which of the following best describes you?
Parent/caregiver of an infant with PKU
Parent/caregiver of a child with PKU
Teenager with PKU
Adult with PKU
Grandparent of a child with PKU
Know someone with PKU
Healthcare professional