|Recipe type: Appetizer/Snack
|Serving Size: ⅙ recipe (entire recipe serves 6)||Phe (mg): 65|
|Calories (kcal): 304.8|
|Protein (g): 1.1|
|Fat (g): 20.5|
- • 1½ tbsp egg replacer, mix with 1 tsp vegetable oil, 2 tbsp water
- • 1 cup non dairy creamer
- • 1 cup LOW PRO mix quick
- • 1 tsp each: salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika
- • ⅓ tsp each: dried oregano, thyme and cumin
- • 1 LARGE onion
- • 1 cup oil for frying
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- • ½ cup Miracle Whip®
- • 1 tbsp ketchup
- • 2 tbsp horseradish
- • ⅓ tsp paprika
- • ¼ tsp salt
- • ⅛ tsp oregano
- • 1 pinch black pepper
- • ⅓ tsp cayenne pepper
Miracle Whip is a registered trademark of Kraft Foods Group Brands LLC.
- To make batter: in a medium bowl, whip egg replacer and creamer together.
- To make flour mixture: in a large bowl, combine mix quick, salt, cayenne, paprika, spices. Mix.
- Slice off 1” of top and bottom of onion and remove papery skin.
- Cut 1” core out of onion (use apple corer!)
- Cut the onion 16 times about ¾ inch in depth, careful not to cut thru.
- Spread the petals of the onion apart by hand carefully.
- Dip the onion into the batter mixture, then coat it with the flour mixture, sprinkling between the petals making sure to get dry coat between them.
- Once well coated, dip back into the wet mixture and into the dry coating again. This double-dipping ensures you have a well-coated onion (because some of the coating will wash off when you fry the onion).
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350°F (175°C). Make sure you use enough oil to completely cover the onion when it fries.
- Fry the onion right side up in the oil for 10 minutes or until it turns brown.
- When the onion has browned, remove it from the oil and let it drain on a rack or paper towels.
- Open the onion wider from the center so that you can put a small dish of the dipping sauce in the center.
- In a medium bowl, combine Miracle Whip, ketchup, horseradish, paprika, salt, oregano, pepper, and cayenne.
- Mix well.
- If not serving immediately, cover and refrigerate.