Check out the information below for a delicious meal that you can make at home.
Blooming Onion and Dipping Sauce
Phe (mg): 65
Serving Size: ⅙ recipe (entire recipe serves 6)
Calories (kcal): 304.8
Protein (g): 1.1
Fat (g): 20.5
- 1½ tbsp egg replacer, mix with 1 tsp vegetable oil, 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup non dairy creamer
- 1 cup LOW PRO mix quick
- 1 tsp each: salt, pepper, cayenne and paprika
- ⅓ tsp each: dried oregano, thyme and cumin
- 1 LARGE onion
- 1 cup oil for frying
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup Miracle Whip®
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp horseradish
- ⅓ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp oregano
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ⅓ tsp cayenne pepper
Miracle Whip is a registered trademark of Kraft Foods Group Brands LLC.
- To make batter: in a medium bowl, whip egg replacer and creamer together.
- To make flour mixture: in a large bowl, combine mix quick, salt, cayenne, paprika, spices. Mix.
- Slice off 1” of top and bottom of onion and remove papery skin.
- Cut 1” core out of onion (use apple corer!)
- Cut the onion 16 times about ¾ inch in depth, careful not to cut thru.
- Spread the petals of the onion apart by hand carefully.
- Dip the onion into the batter mixture, then coat it with the flour mixture, sprinkling between the petals making sure to get dry coat between them.
- Once well coated, dip back into the wet mixture and into the dry coating again. This double-dipping ensures you have a well-coated onion (because some of the coating will wash off when you fry the onion).
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or deep pot to 350°F (175°C). Make sure you use enough oil to completely cover the onion when it fries.
- Fry the onion right side up in the oil for 10 minutes or until it turns brown.
- When the onion has browned, remove it from the oil and let it drain on a rack or paper towels.
- Open the onion wider from the center so that you can put a small dish of the dipping sauce in the center.
- In a medium bowl, combine Miracle Whip, ketchup, horseradish, paprika, salt, oregano, pepper, and cayenne.
- Mix well.
- If not serving immediately, cover and refrigerate.
Nutritional information, including phenylalanine (Phe) counts, are estimated using the Metabolic Pro database created and maintained by Genetic Metabolic Dietitians International (GMDI).
Always consult your dietitian before making changes to your diet.
Love this dish? Share the recipe with your community.
Join the conversation on Facebook and connect with other people and families living with PKU.
Join the PKU & ME program for support and guidance on living a healthy life with PKU.