Check out the information below for a delicious meal that you can make at home.
Phe (mg): 6
Serving Size: One scone (recipe makes 12 total)
Calories (kcal): 154.9
Protein (g): 0.2
Fat (g): 6
- 2 cups flour (or lo-pro baking mix)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold butter
- ½ cup rice milk
- cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix together the flour/lo pro baking mix, sugar, baking powder, salt, and dried cranberries.
- Cut in the cold butter. Stop when you have pea-sized bits.
- Add the rice milk. Mix this with the dry ingredients just to incorporate, and knead about 10 times or less. Add dried cranberries. Do not overwork.
- Divide the dough in half. Form each half into a flattened circle, and cut the circle into 6 wedges.
- Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet until golden brown—about 14 minutes.
Note: For cheddar scones, omit the cranberries and use ½ cup (2 ounces) lo-pro cheddar cheese.
Nutritional information, including phenylalanine (Phe) counts, are estimated using the Metabolic Pro database created and maintained by Genetic Metabolic Dietitians International (GMDI).
Always consult your dietitian before making changes to your diet.
Love this dish? Share the recipe with your community.
Join the conversation on Facebook and connect with other people and families living with PKU.
Join the PKU & ME program for support and guidance on living a healthy life with PKU.