Check out the information below for a delicious meal that you can make at home.
Parsnip and Shitake Lettuce Cups
Phe (mg): 43
Serving Size: 1 wrap (recipe makes 8 total)
Calories (kcal): 79.5
Protein (g): 1.3
Fat (g): 5.2
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot minced (about 2 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces parsnips, peeled and then cut into very small dice
- 4 ounces shitake mushrooms, stems removed and very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Tabasco®
- 8 large lettuce leaves (iceberg) Note – can be made as spring rolls with rice paper instead of lettuce for lunches.
Tabasco is a registered trademark of McIllhenny Company.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When hot add oil, shallot, and garlic. Stir gently for 90 seconds and add the parsnips and shitakes.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring every couple of minutes, until parsnips and mushrooms are tender and browned.
- Increase heat to high and add ¼ cup of water, soy sauce and Tabasco. Stir constantly until all excess liquid has all evaporated.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Divide among lettuce leaves and fold or roll to make wraps.
Nutritional information, including phenylalanine (Phe) counts, are estimated using the Metabolic Pro database created and maintained by Genetic Metabolic Dietitians International (GMDI).
Always consult your dietitian before making changes to your diet.
Love this dish? Share the recipe with your community.
Join the conversation on Facebook and connect with other people and families living with PKU.
Join the PKU & ME program for support and guidance on living a healthy life with PKU.